This is the a gamified activity I developed for Council’s Leadership Academy, with the help of another instructional designer in the team.
An extra-terrestrial cultural advisor comes to Earth and invites you to the most important summit on sustainability in the known universe.
How it works
You have a set date to put together a team and get prepared for the galactic conference. Along the way, you’ll be dealing with team members, getting them up to speed, attending to their needs, trading time and connection points. If you run out of time, game is over. If you run out of connection points, you lose your support, no one will want to have anything to do with you. So, you’ll need both in order to finish the game well.
“The proof is in the pudding”, said the stakeholder.
The training went live in late 2018, and raised the feedback response rate from 6% to 57% on the same month. The vast majority of users said the training is either good or very good, and that the knowledge gained would be useful in the job. Shazam!
This is the end result of a 3D character I did, based on a speed sculpting tutorial from Shane Olson and a sketch made by Dean Yeagle. It’s also my debut in working with Dynamesh geometry, a pretty amazing tool. I’ve worked on many 3D character before but nothing like this one, with the speed and flexibility it offers. Below, a work in progress.
If you don’t know what Dynamesh is, in short, it’s a technology that allows you to re-design the geometry on a 3D model, on the fly, re-mesh it, as if you’re working with real clay – although you could also say it feels a bit like magic. It’s been years, I’ve been hearing how great it is and now I finally got to have a taste of its power. So good.
More info for those who work with or are studying ZBrush
I’ve been working on this cartoon character for weeks, not because it’s super difficult or anything – but because I couldn’t figure out why PolyPaint wasn’t working. If you search the internet, most posts discussing this issue will tell you it’s because the layer is on record mode. But I haven’t had setup any layer, let alone activated record mode, so no clear answer to me. Long story short, the problem was that, for whatever reason, my brush was using the secondary colour, which as white.
Turns out, white colour won’t show at all, no matter which shader you’re using, so it seems to act more like an eraser rather than white ink. Ok, you’re probably thinking “rookie mistake”, but… ok yes, I see now that was rookie. However, on my defence I will say, that’s not intuitive. I did post the issue on both PluralSight, where I got the tutorial from, and also Facebook and GooglePlus. I got one good answer from the tutorial owner, which didn’t solve the problem, and not one answer with a plausible solution from the social media.
So there it is, if you were stuck with PolyPaint like I was, try checking your secondary colour. Or try painting with OPTION key pressed. Hope it helps someone else too.
An interactive festive season e-card I built for BioLab. Delegates could enter combinations of names and email addresses. This would fire an invitation email with a link to the e-card. The card itself was a short animation with a happy ending showing Santa, having a barbecue with friends by the pool.